The Extraordinary in the Ordinary | The Speckled Goat: The Extraordinary in the Ordinary

5.27.2015

The Extraordinary in the Ordinary


See this guy?

(Yes, I included this picture in last week's blessings. Forgive me for re-using a picture!)

He's working on impressing his lady friend with his big feathers. 

Turkeys in the front yard? It's not an uncommon sight around here. 

In fact, most of the time, I don't really take the time to pay much attention to things like this fella with his tail all puffed out. The things that once made this place so special... sacred, even, become ordinary and mundane because, well, because I'm human. 

The novelty wears off. We humans like newer, and bigger, and better, and shinier.






My husband and I went on vacation to Colorado once, and I commented on the majesty of the mountains and the beauty of the landscape.

"Can you imagine living here?" I asked. 

"Well, I don't think I'd want to," Trevor replied. "I wouldn't want to get used to this. It wouldn't be as special." 




Isn't that the trouble? We can't have too much beauty, too much glory, or we forget how beautiful or how glorious our lives are. We take it for granted. 

Just like that turkey. 

I take him for granted. 



That's another reason why I count my blessings- so I don't miss it. So I don't miss the fingerprints of God in everything around me. So I don't forget that this moment, this place, this relationship, (this turkey) is a gift. 

Today- I challenge you. 

Stop. 

Look. 

Find the extraordinary in the everyday. You don't want to miss it.

12 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Oh, I'm right there with you. I think I need this reminder almost every day!

      Delete
  2. Yes! I'm learning to live out the extrodinary in my ordinary life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great advice, and so true. I grew up in the Rocky Mountains at the base of a gorgeously HUGE mountain and I took it for granted. Now that I live far away from home I miss it terribly. But there are things here I have taken for granted--so I need to step back and pay attention to those things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that funny how we do that? Always looking ahead or behind, but not spending the time and attention on where we are right now?

      Delete
  4. This is so true. Living in North Carolina, with the beauty of the beach and the mountain, in constantly counting my blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen, Ally! God's character can be seen in even the smallest things. Viewing life through the lens of our Creator reveals the smallest of blessings! Have a wonder-filled weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. O, sweet! Thank you for your blog. We never see this animals in the garden! But I see a blackbird every morning. He is singing for the LORD and for me. Thats also a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live right outside of Paris (yawn). Seriously - it's hard to retain a sense of wonder. This is a good reminder because that's having the heart of a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAWN? Oh, girl, I think not.

      But I'm totally with you- I could be in the most amazing place in all the world, and somehow still find a way to be bored with it after a while.

      Delete